Thanks to DianaLuv for the tag! If you haven't seen her beauty blog then make sure you go to http://dianaluv.blogspot.com.au/ to check her out!
Why did you start blogging and how long have you been blogging for?
I started my blog on the last day of April this year. I have been watching makeup tutorials and reviews daily for at least a year, and I just had come home from spending way too much money on makeup, and thought to myself "I would love to read reviews on some of these products" so I decided to start writing reviews! I pretty much started writing them because I respect the beauty community and wanted to be part of it, also I have started buying most of my beauty products online, so I thought it's important to share swatches, honest reviews, and information about any good deals.
Whose blog did you fall in love with first?
I mainly fell in love with YouTube videos, and I swear my makeup skills have become 100 times better since watching tutorials and reviews. A few years ago I didn't even know what highlighter or contour was. I mainly fell in love with Pixiwoo and Kandee Johnson to start with... I still adore Pixiwoo, but I'm not a fan of Kandee Johnson anymore, she rarely does makeup reviews/tutorials anymore... and she mainly just does stilly vidoes these days. Since starting a blog, I definitely have been reading more blog reviews than watching YouTube reviews, I think the photos and the reviews seem to be more helpful.
Oh I thought I would add that I first got into reading big bloggers, like Sprinkle of Glitter, Zoella and Lily Pebbles... and although I still follow them, I find that their blogs aren't all that helpful because they are often filled with really expensive products that they have been sent to review. I find these posts to be more like ads rather than reviews, and I know I can't afford a lot of the products they show... So I prefer to read smaller blogs.
Most Important part about doing a blog post?
I love good swatches and honest reviews. You can tell the difference between an honest review and a review that just mentions products that PR companies send. Also I love finding out where people buy their products online... it is really important for Australians to know where to get good deals online.
What kind of Camera do you use?
Canon EOS 550D
What was the first blogosphere hyped about product you bought and was it worth the hype?
I only really buy the hyped up "drug store" items, because I don't really like spending too much money because of hype. The three hyped products that I have thought were good this year were:
- Garnier BB Cream for Oily Combination Skin - my favourite foundation of 2012 (review here)
- Maybelline 24 Hour Color Tattoos - my favourite of these is the bronze. Although they are not the best cream eyeshadows, you definitely can't beat them for the price! (review here)
- Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains, I love stains, and these are great, but I did get over the colours pretty quickly (review here)
What are your favourite five things about blogging and being a beauty blogger?
- I love being able to talk to people who have same interests. I enjoy commenting on their blogs, and hearing their comments and suggestions on my reviews.
- I love reading blogs and finding out about great products
- I enjoy learning from beauty bloggers and YouTube gurus.
- I like sharing things that I like, and warning people about things that I don't like.
- I love taking swatches of products that aren't super well known, because I know how helpful they can be!
What have you learned from being a beauty blogger?
I have learned that beauty bloggers form a community, which I think is really lovely. I am only still on the outside of the community, but the more people you follow, and the more people you talk to, the closer you are to the community. It's a really nice and supportive environment, and you get to talk to people from all over the world.
Have you changed anything since being a beauty blogger?
Not only am I heaps better at applying makeup now, but I find that I really analyse any new products that I buy. I have a much more complicated skincare routine and it is also a lot more expensive. I also get asked questions from my friends about products that I recommend... which is nice.
What advice would you give to a beauty blogger just starting out?
You're not going to get page views or followers straight away (I still struggle to get them). Write posts that you would like to read, and then share them on twitter or the facebook page of the brand you are reviewing, if your posts are worth reading then people will follow you... eventually.
Also you need to be part of the community, you can't expect people to follow you if you aren't following anyone else. You need to get involved and read other peoples posts and leave genuine comments, not comments like "nice" or "please check out my blog"... no one cares what your blog is like if you can't be bothered reading a post and writing a decent comment.
Your Favorite Eyeshadow Palette?
I don't really have a favourite... I tend to use more individual shadows, so I guess my favourite palette would be my Z-Palette. I do eventually want to get the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette... I think that has potential to become a favourite.
The Best Beauty Deal?I always look at the monthly specials on Strawberrynet.com because they can have some amazing deals. I also bought the whole set of Real Techniques brushes from iherb.com, which saved me a lot of money compared to buying them in stores here in Australia.
I don't have too many makeup regrets... but I do find that since I buy 90% of my makeup online, I can often get a dud product that I never would have bought in person... or I often completely buy the wrong colour! An example of a dud product is the MUA Lip Booms, I reviewed mine a few months ago and I am considering throwing it out, because I will never use it again.
Name your top five Beauty brands!
This is really hard! This is going to be rough top five, since I have never thought of this before today, and I will no doubt forget to include some brands... I'm not going to rank these, because I don't know what place they should be.
- Garnier - they are starting to step it up with skin care, the oily combination BB cream is an absolute winner!
- Revlon - loving the Kissable Lip Stains, their lipsticks, eyeliners and mascaras
- MAC - some epic lipsticks, love the fluidlines, and blushes/highlighters
- Sleek - can't beat their eyeshadow palettes and blushes, super cheap, super great!
- Illamasqua - watch out MAC, Illamasqua is coming! I love Illamasqua for some good quality stand out products, and now that they have reduced their prices in Australia, Illamasqua is both better quality and cheaper than MAC!
Recommend your top five favourite beauty products!
No doubt these will chance soon, because I keep trying more makeup, but for now...
- I know I have said this over and over, but the Garnier BB cream for oily combination skin is a must have for people who have oily skin and want a matte finish all day... I can't recommend it more!
- Jordana blushes and eye shadows are super cheap and super awesome. If you want to fill up your makeup collection with great blushes and shadows, then buy these!
- MAC fluidline are my go to liquid liners... they also have a great range of colours.
- MAC also has some great lipsticks, you can't go past Morange or Ruby Woo!
- Korres Lip Balms are a must have if you love a good lip balm, or if you love tinted balms
Tag other beauty bloggers to do this tag!
Megan from Out Of Liner
Natalsie from Cats-n-nails
Seonaid from Beauty & Baggage
Becky from Sirvinya.com
Mishelle from Mishelle's Sleepy Time
aaand lastly sleep and water
I know I have forgotten to tag a lot of awesome people who have amazing blogs, but if you feel like doing this and I haven't listed you, then please consider yourself tagged... I am just being lazy and I don't want to link about 100 great blogs that I follow